Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12
The words lazy and mom are seldom seen next to each other. In fact, 'lazy mom' can be considered to be an oxymoron because there is no such thing as a lazy mom. The truth is most mothers can't afford to be lazy. From sunrise until the kids hit the bed moms are up and about. Endless cleaning, washing, picking, folding, cooking, working fills her day and often times night. So it comes as a shock, then a relief and then sheer joy that there is such a day called Lazy Mom's Day celebrated the first Friday in September.
Who knew? It's about time and this day needs to get more attention.
You don't need a reason to celebrate and participate in this day. If you are a mom that is reason enough, you have earned this day.
With kids being back at school, we have a list of ideas of how you can make September 5th the best lazy mom's day yet:
- Take a nap. Once the kids are off to school, simply go back to bed and enjoy a few hours of uninterrupted snooze time.
- Have an elaborate breakfast. Or enjoy your steaming cup of coffee.
- Treat yourself. You can shop till you drop.
- Get pampered at the spa. Get a massage or opt for a mani-pedi.
- Meet up with your girlfriends for lunch.
- Have someone pick up your kids from school.
- Forget the laundry. Give yourself the day off from all household chores.
- Don't cook today. Either you order takeout or let the family eat leftovers for a night.
- Go to the movies. Or go to a play or dance.
- Everything else - let it go.
Just for today, do whatever you want to and pick up your routine tomorrow, it will be waiting for you.