A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
Did you know that the iconic smiley face was created in 1963 by Harvey Ball, an artist from Worcester, Massachusetts. This image went on to become a symbol for good will and happiness, and universally it is recognized by all regardless of politics and religion. But the over-commercialization of the smiley face left Ball worried as he felt the symbol was losing its value and purpose. This concern compelled Ball to create World Smile Day.
World Smile Day has just one purpose - all of us need to devote one day to making people around us smile through our acts of kindness. This day was first celebrated in 1999 and since then has been observed every year on the first Friday in October.
We at Shazzy Fitness have put together a few ways by which you can be part of this day:
- Say hi to a stranger who passes by you.
- Leave a generous tip to a server.
- Hold the elevator door open for someone.
- Compliment your coworkers on the great work they have been doing.
- Call an old friend you haven't spoken to in a while.
- Put away someone's grocery cart for them.
- Express your love and gratitude to the loved ones in your life.
- Recycle and reuse. Be kind to the environment.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen or old age home.
- Donate gently used items to local charities.
These are endless ways to make someone smile. So today start by smiling and spread the cheer.