As a firm believer in listening to your body’s intuition, Guest Blogger Amy Jo founded Soul Paint Co. as a way to encourage women to step into their spotlight. She coaches women around the world to balance their 5 “hot spots” in order to live an abundantly successful and fulfilling life. What are the 5 “hot spots” you ask? They consist of: Health & Wellness, Emotional Well-Being, Relationships, Career, and Spirituality. Amy Jo believes that how you do ONE thing is how you do EVERYTHING! When any of these “hot spots” are out of alignment, they affect other areas of your life as well. By balancing these areas, we create space for the magic to happen and to live the life we want! When she’s not coaching, Amy Jo leads Soul Painting retreats that focus on listening to your intuition through the process of painting. These retreats are moving experiences that break through self judgement and open the heart to greater self love.
Amy Jo has her Bachelors of Arts in Art Therapy, as well as certifications in Holistic and Integrative Medicine, and Complementary and Alternative Medicine. She was awarded the POP Scholarship from the National Association of Women Business Owners and is a lover of beaches, elephants, and antique shops.
As I waited patiently in the doctor’s room for a diagnosis, my heart began to race and my head began to spin. Why was I in chronic pain? Why were my muscles constantly contracting and twitching? Where was my head foggy and WHY was I having chronic headaches? Not to mention the ‘can’t even THINK about getting out of bed’ fatigue that I was experiencing.
The doctor finally walked in, slapped down a 20-page packet titled Fibromyalgia. “Do you know what this is?” he asked.
Luckily, I had been researching like a crazy lady and had stumbled upon Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, so I knew for the most part what I was in for. He then wrote 7 prescriptions–yep, SEVEN–for me and said, “You’ll have this disease your entire life. There is no cure. Here are the pills you’ll be taking. Find what works for you.”
My jaw dropped.
There I was, 21 years old, living with chronic pain and debilitating fatigue and I was just diagnosed with a chronic illness. I walked out of his office, happy to finally have a word for how I was feeling, but terrified of the medication that I would be putting my body through for the rest of my life. So what did I do? I LIVED on Google. Day in and day out I was researching ways to manage Fibro naturally. What could I do? How could I save my body that I'd only had for 21 years? So I started the "trial and error" process until I found EXACTLY what my body needed.
I didn’t take one prescription medication.
Many people hear my story and think, “No way. I have Fibro and I can’t imagine lifting weights, staying out late with friends, running around like nothing is wrong, or feeling like I have ANY energy. She must be joking.” But I’m not. I’ve found exactly what my body needs each day to maintain my health, my energy, and my strength. I live pain free daily UNLESS I forget my regimen. I fully believe that we are given trials to overcome so that we can help OTHERS overcome similar things. I have helped SO many clients since sharing my story, but that would have never been possible had I not had a story to share. It’s all about perspective! My mission in life is to spread the word of holistic health and alternative healing. YOU ARE NOT YOUR DIAGNOSIS! You are an awesome, beautiful human who can live their most abundant life.
Here are some tips that have helped me along my journey to holistic health and living pain-free:
- Know your limits – How often do you PUSH yourself in order to complete a task or make others happy? Stop that. You need to keep your body in the BEST shape so that you can be the best version of yourself to others. Don’t put your health on the line because you’re trying to hard. Know your limits and STOP before you burn out.
- Do what it takes to sleep – Before I was diagnosed, I couldn’t sleep at night no matter how tired I was. So I would just lay there and stare at the ceiling. So what did my days look like? Gloomy, no energy, and irritability. Bleh. Do whatever it takes to SLEEP. Melatonin, Lavender oil, a hot bath, whatever you need to calm your body and mind. Don’t worry about missing your favorite show that is on at 10 p.m. Record it. Your body needs rest!
- Nourish yourself – How many minutes in your day are strictly for YOU? Nourishment doesn’t just include food and water, it includes doing things that make your heart sing and your soul happy. For me? I nourish myself through painting, drawing, long hot showers, etc. Your body needs your attention too! Don’t be too busy living that you forget to comfort and nourish the body that helps you live.
- Water, water, water – Speaking of water, since our bodies are MOSTLY made of water, you water intake should be at the top of your list. Water keeps us hydrated, energized, it helps our metabolism, and it cleans out toxins. Are you getting enough?
- Vitamins and Minerals – THIS was my game changer. I bumped up my Magnesium intake, began taking Evening Primrose Oil + Flaxseed Oil, increased my Vitamin D’s and B’s, and paid attention to how I was feeling. Each body is different and YOUR body needs different things than mine does. I work with my clients on body intuition (listening to what your body is telling you) and the results are AMAZING. Listen DEEPLY to what your body is saying. It may surprise you!