I love the weekends! After working all week, I look forward to enjoying some much needed downtime to relax and unwind with my go-to weekend activities for staying fit and being healthy! Who has time for downtime when the weekend is here?
Here are my 6 weekend activities to keep fit and healthy:
- Saturday morning is all about preparation. Start your morning with a “good morning” stretch which will help your blood circulate and get you ready for the day. Don’t forget to give yourself five minutes of 'me time': get into a sitting position, close your eyes, and listen to your breathing.
- Of course, a healthy, well balanced breakfast before heading out is not only necessary, it’s what you need to fuel your body for a fabulous day!
- A regular weekend ritual is great, too! I teach Shazzy at 9AM on Saturdays and look forward to revving up my Shazzy crew with some heart pumping music, while praising God for the great gift of fellowship and good health.
- Living in Hawaii, I am blessed with wonderful weather all year round. Hiking trails are a must for anyone looking for a challenging or easy cardio workout. Not into hiking? The beach is the perfect place to get your healthy dose of Vitamin D, enjoy the many water activities (my favorite is body surfing), or, for the hardcore athlete in all of us, run on the beach. How about a nice stroll at your favorite park? Best part about a walk? You can enjoy a cup of coffee at the same time. Don’t forget to wear your sunscreen and reapply often!
- Another weekend activity to enjoy is EATING! If you’ve been to Hawaii, our island is famous for plate lunches, malasadas, and shave ice. Not the healthiest things to eat but with exercise, everything can be modified! I think the most important thing to remember is to never deprive yourself! Deprivation can lead to overindulgence. It is very important to make healthy choices but treating yourself is okay, too, especially on the weekends and after you had a great workout! Moderation is key.
- After a busy day, there’s nothing like a warm shower or bubble bath and a comfy bed to lay your head, reflecting on all the blessings received from God throughout the day. It’s time for your physical and spiritual being to get ready for a much deserved good night’s sleep…
Until the next weekend! Enjoy your life and each other through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.